- Why do I need current appraisals for my jewelry?
- I already have an appraisal from the store where my jewelry was purchased. Why do I need another appraisal?
- I have homeowner's insurance. If I lose my jewelry, am I automatically covered?
- What is included in a JAS jewelry appraisal?
- the content and weight of precious metals;
- a detailed description of diamonds and gemstones (carat weight, cut, clarity, color, measurements, proportion and finish);
- an internal diagram showing any inclusions (natural marks) in diamonds;
- a color photograph;
- the appraised value of your jewelry.
- How can I be sure my JAS appraisal is accurate?
- Do I have to leave my jewelry with you to have it appraised?
- How much should I expect to pay for an appraisal?
- Do I need to make an appointment for an appraisal?
- I cannot bring my jewelry in for appraisal. How can you help me?
- I am in the market for a diamond engagement ring. Can you advise me?
- I have inherited jewelry I do not want. Can you help me?
By far, the most important reason is for insurance purposes. Over the years, the value of your jewelry and gemstones can fluctuate greatly. If your last appraisal is over two years old it may be out-of-date and, as a result, your jewelry could be insured for less than its replacement value. That means you risk a substantial financial loss if your jewelry is lost, stolen or damaged.
For your protection, we recommend you have your jewelry appraised every two years. JAS will provide you with accurate appraisal reports based on current market values so you can obtain adequate insurance coverage. You may also want to determine the value or authenticity of your jewelry for estate and tax purposes, divorce settlements, donations and loans.
Though some merchants may offer you free appraisals with your purchases, it is advisable to have a "second opinion" to confirm the value of your jewelry. An independent appraiser will take the time necessary to write an accurate, in-depth appraisal that will help you avoid paying excessive premiums or underinsuring your jewelry.
JAS is an independent jewelry appraiser. Therefore our reports are completely unbiased. Our only purpose is to provide you with accurate documentation and realistic replacement values.
You are not covered for loss or damage unless you have your jewelry appraised and scheduled separately. JAS will carefully document and photograph your jewelry piece-by-piece so you can have it properly scheduled.
Each JAS appraisal includes complete laboratory testing of your jewelry and an appraisal report for your records. The report contains such information as:
All laboratory tests are performed by G.I.A. Graduate Gemologists using the industry's most precise scientific instrumentation. Appraisals are based on current market values derived from a computerized networking system that constantly monitors prices through the industry and compares retail prices.
JAS will gladly appraise your jewelry while you watch with an appointment. Your jewelry need not leave your sight. We also respect your privacy; all appraisals are strictly confidential.
JAS charges a flat fee per item for each appraisal. This fee is based only on the time needed to perform the tests and calculations. Fees are in no way determined by the value of the jewelry.
You do not need to make an appointment during regular office hours though it is suggested if you wish to avoid delays, and have numerous items.
You do not have to come to our offices. With our portable lab, JAS can provide appraisal services in the privacy of your home or office. This service is also available for on-site estate appraisals. Please call to make an appointment.
Because diamonds can vary greatly in quality, it is a good idea to talk to an expert before making your purchase. JAS has a consultation service to educate you about diamonds and show you how to recognize the characteristics that give them their value. This knowledge will help you make an informed decision. We can also determine the fair market value of your purchase by performing an appraisal.
We sure can. Our brokering services will help you sell pre-owned jewelry, unwanted diamonds and gold. Click here to learn more. Please contact Jewelry Appraisal Services if you have any other questions.